The effectiveness of body weight training to lose fat is proven beyond a doubt. Models, martial artists, professional dancers and even the old Romans and Vikings all relied on body weight training as the main source of fitness to develop their bodies and get strong.
The real way to melt fat is to stimulate your muscles and boost your metabolic rate. A treadmill cannot do that alone but using your full body the way it was designed to by nature will.
Here are a few of the benefits of using body weight training
- Metabolic workouts are shown to burn 90% more fat than slow aerobic cardio – yes, 9 times more fat.
- Body weight training can be adapted to suit all physical abilities and fitness levels.
- A person of any age can perform body weight training with no concerns over lifting heavier, dangerous weights.
- It strengthens your joints and increases natural strength.
Body weight workouts are excellent for fast fat loss because you can combine a few core principles of fat loss training, such as:
- Use total body exercises that work the core, upper and lower body every time you workout.
- Perform a mix of high and low reps for strength, power and endurance.
- Elevate your heart rate super high for a great metabolic response that keeps your body burning fat for hours following the workout.
- Perform circuit style workouts with low rest periods for the best fat loss response.
- With body weight training you can get a great blend of full body strength, toning and a fat melting cardio burn in one short session by keeping the rest period low.
Here’s an example of a body weight circuit you can try
Step 1 – one round takes 3 minutes –
- Jumping Jacks – 30 seconds
- Body Weight Squats – 30 seconds
- Push Ups – 30 seconds
- Mountain Climbers – 30 seconds
- Burpees – 30 seconds
- Plank – 30 seconds
Step 2 – Rest 60 to 90 seconds between rounds (no rest between individual exercises)
Step 3 – repeat 3 times